Here’s a recipe I’ve been teaching in Bellangela Cooking Classes: Zucca croccante al forno – Crunchy oven roasted butternut squash!
I’m so proud of this recipe, it was even featured in US Personal Chef Association’s Magazine!
Zucca Croccante al Forno
This is a recipe from my hometown of Sezze in Italy.
- Butternut Squash 500gr. – 20oz
- Flour 80gr. – 0.17lb
- Salt as needed
- Cayenne to taste
- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) as needed
- Julienne cut the squash using a mandolin. We need thin and narrow strips.
- Place the cut squash into a colander, add salt and mix, put a weight on top and let it lose water for a whole night.
- Preheat the oven to 200C – 400F.
- Squeeze the squash by hand or with help of a cotton cloth.
- In a bowl, mix the squash, flour, salt and cayenne. The mixture needs to be sticky.
- Grease with olive oil the ovenproof dish and place the mixture in a thin layer.
- Drizzle with EVOO on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes approximately or until crunchy and roasted.